For insurance purposes, whilst a person is undertaking unpaid work at the University (which could be work experience, placement, volunteering or an unpaid internship):
(1) The University must maintain documentary evidence of:
- Risk assessments Refer to SHE Department
- Relevant Departmental/School authorisation of the arrangement
- induction into H&S, policies, procedures, university protocol, what is expected etc
- Acknowledgement of the arrangement by the University and the person engaged
- Anything other as required by HR - HR must be made aware of every such arrangement
Assuming all the above conditions are met, then ordinarily the University’s public and employers liability insurance will apply while they are on campus, just as it would for a paid employee. This applies to placements, work experience, volunteers and interns. The Head of Department/School should be aware of where this evidence is maintained in case it is required at any point in the future for insurance purposes.
(2) In addition, For anyone from abroad:
The University must obtain confirmation from the organisation sending them to us that the sending organisation accepts full liability/has insurance in place for travel from/to the other country and for when the person engaged is off campus during their stay here (this might already be included in the contract we have with the organisation for the individual concerned).
(3) In addition, for Glyndŵr University students:
If the student placement is being arranged by the University, the insurance requirements for Student Placements should also be followed.
(4) In addition, for anyone undertaking different work to the normal business activity:
The University needs to notify the insurers of the activities to be undertaken if those activities are onerous or different from the normal business activities of the University. Should this circumstance arise, the University must obtain written confirmation that the risk has been accepted.
(5) In addition, For Under 18s, refer to the separate section on Children and the Under 18s.
- Insurance cover information is provided within the folder below.